The Growing Organic Vegetable class series runs from January through May and is held on a weekday evening. (10 classes – 2 1/2 hours each – $280). Please don’t let financial constraints keep you from taking our class series. Please inquire about our discounts and payment plans by contacting our adult education dept.
COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
- The Organic Approach, Why It Works
- Design Vegetable Gardens using Permaculture
- Vegetable Garden Design; Area Climate; Drainage & Raised Beds
- Compost; Soil Food Webs; Organic Fertilizers & Plant Nutrition
- Ecological Pest Control
- Garden Bed Rotation
- Vegetable Seeds: Types, Varieties, & Best Sources and Planting Guides
- Growing and Planting Organic Transplants
- Vegetable Families characteristics, varieties, planting schedule
- Community Gardens
- Optional garden tours will be offered once or twice during the class series
Hands-on training is available by joining one of our affiliate community gardens. Check out the Urban Harvest Affiliate Garden Map. If you need help, please contact Emily Foxman, community gardens coordinator at email@example.com call 713.880.5540 X1015
CLASSES: Before classes there will be a Q&A session where you can bring up topics related to the last class and the readings. You are welcome to ask questions at break and after class.
ATTENDANCE POLICY: You need to attend 9 classes out of the 10 to be eligible for an “Organic Vegetable Gardening Specialist” Certificate. Please see that you check in at each class. If you miss more than one class, and would like to receive your certificate in the current year, you may request to make up the missed class by volunteering at one of our affiliate community gardens or at our farmers market. Contact Lilly DeHaven, classes coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-880-5540 X1019. If you want to attend classes that you missed, you may attend at no extra charge. Please contact us so that we may include you on the class roster.