The USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers nutrition assistance to millions of low-income individuals and families. Through benefits distributed by the Food and Nutrition Service, SNAP aims to increase food accessibility to communities in need.
Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is a one-time benefit for eligible families to buy food. P-EBT/P-SNAP provides funds to families that have lost access to free or reduced-price meals because of closures related to COVID-19. Find answers to frequently asked questions, prepared by the Houston Food Bank:
5425 Troost St.
Houston, TX. 77026
Every 1st and 3rd Saturday, 9am – 12pm
5616 Lawndale St,
Houston, TX. 77023
Every 2nd Thursday, 10am – 1pm
577 W Rittenhouse St,
Houston, TX. 77091
7635 Canal St
Every 3rd Wednesday, 9a-12p
Double Up Food Bucks, allows participants in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food assistance) to receive vouchers for up to an additional $30 a day on Texas-grown fruits and vegetables. Shop with your EBT/Lonestar card at farmers markets near you, and get FREE “Double Up Food Bucks” to spend on fresh fruits and veggies.
When shopping at famers markets, receive a dollar-for-dollar match on SNAP benefits, up to $30 a day, to spend on your produce. When you use your EBT/Lonestar card at farm stands, receive 50% off your produce purchase.
• Fruits, vegetables, and herbs
• Cheese, eggs, and other dairy products
• Meat products (red meat, seafood, poultry)
• Bread and other baked goods
• Honey, maple syrup, jams, and sauces
• Seeds and plants that produce food (e.g. basil seeds or tomato plants)
• Fruits and vegetables
• Seeds and plants that produce food
1. Visit a participating farmers market. Bring your EBT/Lonestar Card to the market information booth.
2. Every SNAP dollar you spend will be matched, up to $30 a day, in FREE Double Up Food Bucks.
1. Visit a participating farm stand. Bring your EBT/Lonestar Card to the market information booth.
2. Pick out what you want, social distance style, from the farm stand.
3. Receive 50% off your total produce purchase. The market manager will swipe your EBT/Lonestar card and offer you a receipt.
Yes. SNAP recipients can use Double Up Food Bucks at any market that accepts them, no matter where they were received. Visit our locations page to find a farmers market near you.
No. Double Up Food Bucks do not expire and can be saved for your next market visit.
1. Pre-Order here to reserve your produce box
now! Please order at3 days before your pickup date to ensure stock. Produce selections are seasonal and rotate monthly.
2. Pick up your Produce Box at the market,
3. Stay in your car! Let us come to you and take your payment. If you would like to add any additional a la carte items, now is your chance!
4. Safely enjoy your fresh produce and spread the word!
Seasonal and local produce can be found at Houston farmers markets. Here is a short list:
cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and root vegetables, carrots, beets, turnips, tomatoes, arugula, kale, citrus fruits, pears, and figs.
tomatoes, peppers, onions, squash, sweet potato, okra, eggplant, watermelon and peaches and berries are common at the market.
There are many resources to help you learn how to cook the fresh foods you’ve purchased. While you’re at the market, consider asking the vendor their favorite way to prepare the fruits and vegetables you’ve purchased. You can also find resources on our website, Facebook page, and from our friends at Houston Food Bank and USDA My Plate.
Double Up Food Bucks is a program with multiple goals: First is to help families access more fresh, healthy foods, and second is to support local farmers. Using Double Up helps local farmers boost their incomes, which is great for our economy, and provides families have access to high-quality produce. Customers can still use regular SNAP (food assistance) benefits for other food items, like meats,honey, cheeses, and fresh breads.