The USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers nutrition assistance to millions of low-income individuals and families. Through benefits distributed by the Food and Nutrition Service, SNAP aims to increase food accessibility to communities in need.
Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is a one-time benefit for eligible families to buy food. P-EBT/P-SNAP provides funds to families that have lost access to free or reduced-price meals because of closures related to COVID-19. Find answers to frequently asked questions, prepared by the Houston Food Bank:
Double Up Food Bucks allows participants in the SNAP program to receive additional Texas-grown fruits and vegetables when they shop at participating farmers markets, mobile markets or farm stands.
At all of our markets shoppers who pay with SNAP EBT receive a dollar-for-dollar match on their SNAP benefits (up to $40 a day) to buy more fresh fruits and vegetables. Buy $40 of groceries (meat, bread, eggs and produce) and receive an additional $40 in Double Up Food Bucks to spend on fresh produce.
Only buying produce? With Double Up Food Bucks all SNAP transactions are 50 percent off, or get two for one!
• Fruits, vegetables, and herbs
• Cheese, eggs, and other dairy products
• Meat products (red meat, seafood, poultry)
• Bread and other baked goods
• Honey, maple syrup, jams, and sauces
• Seeds and plants that produce food (e.g. basil seeds or tomato plants)
• Fruits and vegetables
• Seeds and plants that produce food
1. Visit a participating farmers market. Bring your SNAP/Lone Star Card to the market information booth.
2. Let the market staff know how many SNAP dollars you would like to spend. They will run your card and distribute $1 and $5 coupons for you to shop with.
3. Every SNAP dollar you use will be matched, up to $40 a day, in FREE Double Up Food Bucks.
1. Visit a participating farm stand. Let the market staff know you would like to use your SNAP card.
2. Pick out your non-produce, SNAP-only items first. Once you have a total for those items, utilize your Double Up Food Bucks incentive by picking out an equal value (max $40) of fresh produce.
3. If the farm stand only has fresh produce, enjoy a 50 percent or two-for-one discount.
Yes. SNAP recipients can use Double Up Food Bucks at any market that accepts them, no matter where they were received. Visit our locations page to find a farmers market near you.
No. Double Up Food Bucks do not expire and can be saved for your next market visit.
Double Up Food Bucks is a program with two goals: first, to help families access more fresh, healthy foods and, second, to support local farmers.
By utilizing Double Up, SNAP users can stretch their EBT dollars further and access high-quality produce while also patronizing farmers in their community.