At Urban Harvest, an active and engaged volunteer force makes our mission of cultivating thriving communities through gardening and access to healthy, local food possible.
With over 140 affiliate gardens across Houston, we are actively working to create volunteer opportunities in a garden near you! Check the map for gardens currently seeking help. Don’t see anything near you right now? We are constantly updating the map, so come back soon!
Volunteering During the Covid-19 Pandemic
Urban Harvest is focused on volunteer and community member help. Please follow the guidelines listed below when volunteering at a garden.
- It has been recommended by the CDC that adults wear a protective mask or covering over your nose and mouth when in spaces where other people are present.
- Always maintain at least a 6 foot social distance from others in the garden.
- Bring your own hand sanitizer! Try not to touch your face, nose, mouth or eyes until you can thoroughly wash with soap or sanitize your hands.
- Bring your own tools and disposable gloves. Do not use shared gloves. If you use shared tools, sanitize them before and after use.
- Bring your own drinking water to the garden.
- If you are sick with fever, coughing or fatigue, do not come to the garden and do not send immediate family members.
- Use clean gloves if you are handling produce which is harvest to be donated.
- Communicate with other garden volunteers via email or text messages as much as possible to be aware of those in the space at the same time.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Give back to your community and strengthen your employee team with a volunteer project just for your group.
Join a community of generous and dedicated monthly donors who have committed to support us all year long.
Learn more about gardening through classes and webinars on subjects from fruit trees to permaculture and growing organically.